Aotearoa Astrotourism Academy
Announcing our Next Course in Auckland!
Introduction to Astronomy, The Night Sky & The Cosmos
Aotearoa Astrotourism Academy, AAA, was launched by Professor John Hearnshaw with the support of Nalayini Davies, to satisfy an unmet need in the astronomical community.
We are pleased to announce our next course
‘Introduction to Astronomy, The Night Sky & The Cosmos’
Where: The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron, Auckland
When: 2nd-4th December 2022
(Note: The course has been rescheduled from 21st-23rd October)
- New Zealand’s Night Sky & The Universe – an introduction
- Observational Astronomy – underlying principles & practical application
- Astrophotography – technical guidance & practical usage
- Workshops – Astrophotography, Astrotourism & Outreach sessions
- Telescopes & Binoculars – technical guidance & practical usage
- Maori astronomy – an introduction
- Practical Stargazing – ‘hands-on’ with traditional & digital scopes & binoculars
- NZ’s Night Sky & The Universe–what you can see & what lies beyond
- Astronomy– what objects are observable & how best to observe them
- Astrophotography today – the products & the practice
- Astrotourism and/or Outreach – how to conduct these successfully
- The Dark Sky Movement in NZ – what it is & how you can participate
- Buying a Telescope or Binoculars – which is best for you & how to use them
An immersive experience, this course comprises a series of lectures, workshops, practical sessions, stargazing (weather permitting) and lots of interactions with our Course Instructors.
AAA’s Courses are Designed for Those Interested in:
NZ’s Dark Sky Movement
Night Sky Navigators
What Attendees Say about AAA’s Courses
Today I'm picking up my 8” Dobsonian package from AstroNZ! So beginning my Dobsonian man journey! Joining in with WAS will also be part of the plan and a few of us locally are hopefully going to keep meeting up from time to time.
Once again, thanks for such a thorough weekend of learning and inspiration“.
The venue was great too, and delicious food. I found it so stimulating and have bought quite a few books to keep up with my learning.
Presenters - this was a fantastic element of the program. The knowledge and experience of each was top notch and offered great value to the learning experience.
I have applied for membership of the Wellington Astronomical Society so hope to continue improving my knowledge in the future.
The material covered was excellent, and the level of information was never too esoteric to comprehend, too basic for the level of knowledge I already have, nor too quickly presented, so very well done there. I think the pacing was excellent, and you all have wonderful presentation styles.
2-4 DECEMBER 2022
AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND
Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron, Home of the America’s Cup is a spacious, multi-functional building at the foot of the Harbour Bridge in Westhaven Marina.
The RNZYS building has a distinctive nautical appearance where sun-drenched decks and rooms offer superb views over Westhaven Marina, CBD, Waitemata Harbour and the Harbour Bridge.
8-10 JULY 2022
MARTINBOROUGH, NEW ZEALAND
The Martinborough Hotel offers boutique accommodation located on the doorstep to everything Martinborough and the South Wairarapa has to offer.
TEKAPO, NEW ZEALAND
Tekapo is situated in the South Island of New Zealand, within the Aoraki-Mackenzie International Dark Sky Reserve.
TWIZEL, NEW ZEALAND
The course is designed for current or prospective astrotourism night-sky guides or for anyone interested in navigating the night sky and understanding more about astronomy.